PIDDINGHOE is a parish, one mile north from Newhaven station, on the river Ouse, 56½ miles from London, and 6 south from Lewes, in the Eastern division of the county, Holmstrow hundred, Newhaven union, Lewes rape, county court district, archdeaconry and rural deanery, and diocese of Chichester. The church has a round tower, with shingled spire, chancel, nave, and north aisle, and appears to have formerly had an aisle on the south side also. The register dates, for baptisms, from 1540; for marriages, from 1555; for burials, from 1592. The living is a vicarage, value £170 per annum, in the gift of and held by, the Rev. James Hutchins, M A. of St. John's College, Oxford, who is also rector of, and resides at, Telscombe. The principal landowners are the Earl of Chichester and William Waterman, Esq.: Lord Sheffield is lord of the manor. The area is 2,658 acres, and the population in 1861 was 243. [Kelly's Post Office Directory of Essex, Herts, Middlesex, Kent, Surrey and Sussex, 1867.]
|The Ascension, Peacehaven, Church of England|
|The Parish Church of St John, Piddinghoe, Church of England|
|The Immaculate Conception, Peacehaven, Roman Catholic|
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Piddinghoe to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Piddinghoe has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
View a map of the boundaries of this town/parish.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TQ435029 (Lat/Lon: 50.807889, 0.035305), Piddinghoe which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)