PLAYDEN is a parish, in the Eastern division of the county, hundred of Goldspur, Rye union and county court district, Hastings rape, rural deanery of Dallington, archdeaconry of Lewes, and diocese of Chichester, three-quarters of a mile north from Rye. The church of St. Michael is in the Early English style of architecture. The living is a discharged rectory, annexed to that of East Guildford, joint annual value £450, in the gift of the Rev. C. Shrubb, and held by the Rev. Charles Mead Ramus, M.A., of Trinity College, Cambridge; the Rev. Leighton Robinson is curate in sole charge. The river Rother and the Royal Military Canal pass through this parish. Here is an hospital, founded in honour of St. Bartholomew, and under the government of the Dean and Chapter of Westminster. The area is 1,308 acres; the population in 1861 was 305.- Letters received through Rye, which is the nearest money order office [Kelly's Post Office Directory of Essex, Herts, Middlesex, Kent, Surrey and Sussex, 1867.]
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Playden to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Playden has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
View a map of the boundaries of this town/parish.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TQ923217 (Lat/Lon: 50.962626, 0.737065), Playden which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)