RODMELL is a parish, in the Eastern division of the county, Holmstrow hundred, Newhaven union, Lewes rape, county court district and archdeaconry, rural deanery of Rype, and diocese of Chichester: it is on the high road from Lewes to Newhaven, about 3½ miles from each of those towns, and 54 from London, close to the navigable river Ouse. The church of St. Peter is small and ancient, supposed to have been built in the twelfth century, and has been entirely restored, at the expense of the present incumbent: it consists of nave, south aisle, chancel, square tower and shingled spire. The present register dates from 1705. The living is a rectory, value £375 per annum, with residence, in the gift of the Bishop of Chichester, and held by the Rev. Peter De Putron, M.A., of Pembroke College, Oxford. The Earl of Abergavenny is lord of the manor. The ancient Roman military way, Ermine street, from Newhaven, passes through the village. The area is 1,924 acres, and the population in 1861 was 292. [Kelly's Post Office Directory of Essex, Herts, Middlesex, Kent, Surrey and Sussex, 1867.]
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Rodmell to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Rodmell has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
View a map of the boundaries of this town/parish.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TQ420061 (Lat/Lon: 50.837016, 0.015268), Rodmell which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)