RUDGEWICK (Or RUDGWICK) is a parish, on the borders of Surrey, 7 miles north-north-west from Horsham, and 44 south-west from London by rail, in the Western division of the county, West Easwrith hundred, rape of Arundel, Petworth union, diocese and archdeaconry of Chichester, rural deanery of Storrington, and Horsham county court district. The Horsham and Guildford direct line of rail passes through the parish, half a mile south of the village, where there is a neat station. The church of the Holy Trinity is a very handsome edifice, with a low square tower at the west end, with 6 bells and a clock: there are some fine stained glass windows; the interior consists of a chancel, nave and north aisle. The register dates from 1639. The living is a vicarage, yearly value £260, with residence, in the gift of the Bishop of Chichester, and held by the Rev. Benjamin Joseph Drury, B.A., of Lincoln College, Oxford. Here is a National school for boys and girls, supported by the vicar and by subscriptions from the Bishop of Chichester and others in the neighbourhood. The soil is chiefly clay and loam, for corn, turnips, &c. Sir Charles Goring, Bart., is lord of the manor; and the chief landowners are the Duke of Norfolk. John King, Esq., Captain Edward John Bunny, and John Napper, Esq., of Ifold. In close proximity to the station is the Railway Hotel, a substantial and commodious structure, with large grounds attached. The area is 5,830 acres, and the population in 1861 was 1,068.
BUCK'S GREEN, HAVEN and ROWHOOK are hamlets. [Kelly's Post Office Directory of Essex, Herts, Middlesex, Kent, Surrey and Sussex, 1867.]