RUSPER is a village and parish, 35 miles from London, 5 north-east from Horsham, and 3 north-west from Faygate station on the Horsham branch of the London, Brighton and South Coast Railway, in the Western division of the county, Singlecross hundred, rape of Bramber, Horsham union and county court district, diocese and archdeaconry of Chichester, and rural deanery of Storrington. The church of St. Mary is a stone building in the Middle pointed style, with nave, aisles, chancel and embattled tower containing 6 bells; the body of the church was rebuilt in 1855, at the expense of John, Henry, Thomas, and Walter Broadwood, Esqrs.: there are two ancient and curious brasses of the Kingsfold family. The register dates from 1560. The living is a rectory, value £202 per annum, with residence, in the gift of Mrs. Greene, and held by the Rev. Henry James Gore, M.A., of Merton College, Oxford. There is a small school. Robert Henry Hurst, Esq., M.P., and the Messrs.Broadwood, are the principal landowners. The soil is strong clay. The population in 1861 was 590, and the area is 3,126 acres.
PUCKSCROFT, Langhurst, Carrells, Whimland, Friday Street, Clockhouse and Choals are farms in this parish. [Kelly's Post Office Directory of Essex, Herts, Middlesex, Kent, Surrey and Sussex, 1867.]
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Rusper to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Rusper has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
View a map of the boundaries of this town/parish.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TQ206372 (Lat/Lon: 51.121401, -0.27818), Rusper which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)