RUSTINGTON is a parish on the sea-coast, half a mile from Angmering station, a mile and a half east from Littlehampton, and 7 miles from Worthing, in the Western division of the county, Poling hundred, Arundel rape, rural deanery and county court district, East Preston incorporation, and diocese and archdeaconry of Chichester. The church, of SS. Peter and Paul, is a building of about the thirteenth century: had fallen into a bad state of repair, but has been restored, principally at the expense of the present vicar, from plans by Mr. W. Slater, the diocesan architect: to the liberality of the vicar, the parish is also indebted for a National school, which was built here in the year 1860. The register dates from 1568. The living is a vicarage value £159 per annum, with residence, in the gift of the Bishop of Chichester, and held by the Rev. Henry John Rush, M.A., of Worcester College, Oxford. Mrs. Archdale Gratwicke, of Ham, is lady of the manor; and Thomas Bushby, Esq., and Mrs. Penfold are the principal landowners. The area is 1,287 acres, and the population in 1861 was 340. [Kelly's Post Office Directory of Essex, Herts, Middlesex, Kent, Surrey and Sussex, 1867.]
|St Andrew, Rustington, United Reformed Church|
|Rustington Methodist Chapel, Rustington, Methodist|
|Rustington Methodist Church, Rustington, Methodist|
|St Joseph, Rustington, Roman Catholic|
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Rustington to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Rustington has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
View a map of the boundaries of this town/parish.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TQ051021 (Lat/Lon: 50.80893, -0.509696), Rustington which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)