SALEHURST is a parish, close to Robertsbridge station, 5 miles north from Battle, partly in the Eastern division of the county, Henhurst hundred, Ticehurst union, Hastings rape and county court district, diocese of Chichester, archdeaconry of Lewes, and rural deanery of Dallington. The church of St. Mary is in the Early English style, and consists of a nave, north and south aisles, chancel, and tower with 8 bells, and has been repewed and restored. The register dates from the year 1575. The living is a vicarage, value £625 per annum, with residence, in the gift of Charles Hardy, Esq., and held by the Rev. Alexander Orr, M.A., of Oriel College, Oxford. Here are National schools, and places of worship for Wesleyans and Calvinists. The Earl of Chichester and Henry Micklethwait, Esq., are lords of the manor. Mr George Munn left an annuity of £16 per annum in aid of National schools. The other charities are £31 per annum. In 1861 the population was 2,014; area, 6,481 acres.
HURST GREEN and ROBERTSBRIDGE are hamlets in this parish. Iridge is a seat [Kelly's Post Office Directory of Essex, Herts, Middlesex, Kent, Surrey and Sussex, 1867.]