SALEHURST is a parish, close to Robertsbridge station, 5 miles north from Battle, partly in the Eastern division of the county, Henhurst hundred, Ticehurst union, Hastings rape and county court district, diocese of Chichester, archdeaconry of Lewes, and rural deanery of Dallington. The church of St. Mary is in the Early English style, and consists of a nave, north and south aisles, chancel, and tower with 8 bells, and has been repewed and restored. The register dates from the year 1575. The living is a vicarage, value £625 per annum, with residence, in the gift of Charles Hardy, Esq., and held by the Rev. Alexander Orr, M.A., of Oriel College, Oxford. Here are National schools, and places of worship for Wesleyans and Calvinists. The Earl of Chichester and Henry Micklethwait, Esq., are lords of the manor. Mr George Munn left an annuity of £16 per annum in aid of National schools. The other charities are £31 per annum. In 1861 the population was 2,014; area, 6,481 acres.
HURST GREEN and ROBERTSBRIDGE are hamlets in this parish. Iridge is a seat [Kelly's Post Office Directory of Essex, Herts, Middlesex, Kent, Surrey and Sussex, 1867.]
|Holy Trinity, Hurst Green, Church of England|
|Robertsbridge Mission Room, Robertsbridge, Church of England|
|The Parish Church of St Mary the Virgin, Salehurst, Church of England|
|Bethel Strict Baptist Chapel, Robertsbridge, Baptist|
|Community Church Robertsbridge, Robertsbridge, Baptist|
|Robertsbridge United Reformed Church, Robertsbridge, United Reformed Church|
|Hurst Green Wesleyan Methodist Church, Hurst Green, Methodist|
|Robertsbridge Wesleyan Chapel, Robertsbridge, Methodist|
|Our Lady Help of Christians, Hurst Green, Roman Catholic|
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Salehurst to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Salehurst has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
View a map of the boundaries of this town/parish.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TQ749242 (Lat/Lon: 50.990626, 0.490746), Salehurst which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)