SHERMANBURY is a parish of scattered houses, 3 Miles north from Henfield, 2&fract12; east from Partridge Green railway station, 14 north from Brighton, 10 from Horsham, 16 from Lewes, 7 from Burgess Hill railway station, and 7 south-west from Hassock's Gate station, in the Western division of the county, Brighton county court district, Windham hundred, rape of Bramber, Steyning union, diocese of Chichester, archdeaconry of Lewes, and rural deanery of Shermanbury. The church of St. Giles is very ancient, and has a nave, chancel, and tower with 2 bells. The register dates from 1653. The living is a rectory, value £387 per annum, with residence and 15 acres of glebe, in the gift of Mrs. Hunt, and held by the Rev. JohnMatthew Glubb, M.A., of Exeter College, Oxford, surrogate and rural dean. Here is a girls' school, under the patronage ofMrs. Hoper of Shermanbury Grange. The principal owners are Mrs. Henry Hunt, Rev. J. Goring, and Henry Rideout, Esq. Mrs. Henry Hunt, of Shermanbury Park, is lady of the manor. Area, 1,911 acres; the population in 1861 was 464. [Kelly's Post Office Directory of Essex, Herts, Middlesex, Kent, Surrey and Sussex, 1867.]
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Shermanbury to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Shermanbury has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
View a map of the boundaries of this town/parish.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TQ204192 (Lat/Lon: 50.959657, -0.287014), Shermanbury which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)