SHIPLEY is an extensive parish, 6 miles south from Horsham, and 44 from London, in the Western division of the county, West Grinstead hundred, rape of Bramber, Horsham union and county court district, diocese and archdeaconry of Chichester, and rural deanery of Storrington. The church of St. Mary is chiefly Norman, and consists of chancel, tower, and nave. The register commences in 1609. The living is a perpetual curacy, value £98 per annum, with residence, in the gift of the Hon. Mrs. Vernon Harcourt, and held by the Rev. Henry Law Cooper, M.A., of St. John's College. Cambridge. Here is a boys' school, which was endowed by Mrs. Andrew of this parish, in 1825, with about £40 per annum. The girls' school-room is a very neat and spacious building, with residence attached for the mistress: it was built at the expense of the late Sir C. M. Burrell, Bart., and the Hon. Mrs. Vernon Harcourt, in 1858. There are two useful and flourishing Friendly Societies - the Coolham, established in 1836, and the Temperate established in 1841. Here is Knepp Castle, the seat of Sir Percy Burrell, Bart., M.P., but now (1866) occupied by Major John Aldridge, J.P., a castellated building, erected by the late Sir C. M. Burrell, Bart.: it is on a gentle elevation, commanding views of picturesque scenery both within and beyond the park, and overlooking the most extensive piece of water south of the river Thames: of the old castle, once the seat of the Braosefamily, only a single remnant of the keep is now standing. Sir Percy Burrell, Bart., M.P., is lord of the manor, and owner of a large portion of the soil. The area is 7,698 acres; the population in 1861 was 1,212.
WOODGATERS, BENTONS, COOLHAM, and PURVEYORS are in this parish [Kelly's Post Office Directory of Essex, Herts, Middlesex, Kent, Surrey and Sussex, 1867.]
|St Mary's Mission Chapel, Coolham, Church of England|
|The Parish Church of St Mary, Shipley, Church of England|
|Blue Idol, Coolham, Quaker|
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Shipley to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Shipley has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
View a map of the boundaries of this town/parish.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TQ145219 (Lat/Lon: 50.985128, -0.370137), Shipley which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)