SINGLETON with CHARLTON is a large parish, in a valley of the Downs, 6 miles north-east from Chichester, and 5½ south-east from Midhurst, in the Western division of the county, Chichester rape, county court district, diocese and archdeaconry, hundred of Westbourne, West Hampnett union, and rural deanery of Boxgrove. The manor is referred to in "Domesday Survey" as Silleton: in the time of Edward the Confessor it was a possession of Earl Godwin, the father of King Harold: it subsequently formed part of the great Earldom of Arundel, and descended with it: upon the partition of the Fitzalan estates, John Lord Lumley became possessed, and that portion of it called Charlton Forest was granted by the Crown to the Duke of Richmond. The church (name unknown), which has been restored, is in the perpendicular style, and consists of nave, chancel, north and south aisles: the tower is Norman, and has 3 bells. The register commences in 1664. The living is a discharged rectory, value £115 per annum, with 36 acres of globe, in the gift of the Duke of Richmond, and held by the Rev. Francis Alfred Bowles, M.A., of Magdalen Hall Oxford. The chief landed proprietors are the Duke of Richmond and Lord Leconfield. Here is a National school for boys and a school for girls, erected in 1852, supported by Lord and Lady Leconfield. Goodwood race stand is situate in the Parish: this locality is spoken of from manuscripts as being, in the early part of the seventeenth century, much frequented by royalty for hunting amusements, and attended on the 26th of January, 1738, by six dukes and as many duchesses, and thirty noblemen of various titles. In 1628 Henry Smith, Esq. left by will £70 per annum for charities. Molecomb House is now the residence of H.S.H. Prince Edward of Saxe Weimar. Drove House is one of the seats of Lord Leconfield. The soil is chalky. The population in 1861, with the hamlet of Charlton, was 556; the area is 5,010 acres. [Kelly's Post Office Directory of Essex, Herts, Middlesex, Kent, Surrey and Sussex, 1867.]
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Singleton to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Singleton has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
View a map of the boundaries of this town/parish.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SU877131 (Lat/Lon: 50.910716, -0.753951), Singleton which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)