SLINFOLD is a village and parish, 39 miles from London by road and 42 by rail, and 4 west from Horsham by road and 4½ by rail, in the Western division of the county, Easwrith hundred, rape of Arundel, Horsham union and county court district, diocese and archdeaconry of Chichester, and rural deanery of Storrington. The church of St Peter is a handsome edifice in the Early Decorated style, capable of accommodating 400 persons: it consists of a nave, chancel, and south aisle, and a spire surmounting a tower, with 6 bells: it contains a small organ, and among other stained glass windows, there is one of great beauty, by Hughes, of London, representing Our Saviour bearing the Cross, the Crucifixion, and Ascension, with six medallions representing the works of mercy: the pulpit is of carved oak: there is a curious sculptured female figure, destitute of any inscription but traditionally said to belong to a member of the family of Tregoz: the church stands on the site of the old one (of 1230): it was erected in 1861, at a cost of £3.697 10s. 6d., by voluntary contributions from the bishop of the diocese and rector of the parish, with liberal subscriptions and gifts from the inhabitants of this and the surrounding parishes, aided by grants from the Incorporated Society for Building Churches and Chapels, and the Chichester Diocesan Society: Mr. Ferrey, of London, was the architect. The register commences in 1558. The living is a vicarage and rectory united, value £472 per annum, with residence, in the gift of the Bishop of Chichester, and held by the Rev. Frederick Vincent, M.A., of Brasenose College, Oxford. The National schoolroom, for boys and girls, is aneat building, with residence attached for the mistress. Several benefactions to the poor of this parish, though of small amount, are recorded - viz, in 1602, Henry West, £10; in 1617, Thomas Churchar, £10, in 1622, James Churchar, £5; in 1652, John Scule, £25. in 1807, General John Leland, £50. In 1621, Edward Cowper, Esq. gave 15s. per annum, arising from land. The Duke of Norfolk is lord of the principal manor (Dedisham), and with Captain Bunny, N. P. Simes, Esq., Sir Percy Shelley, Bart and, Thomas Child, Esq., is principal landowner. The Slinfold Benefit Society was established in 1850, and holds its meetings st the King's Head. There are several handsome residences in Slinfold and the vicinity. Strood Park is the elegant seat of Nathaniel Philip Simes, Esq. The Horsham and Guildford line of rail passes through the parish and a neat station has been erected half a mile south of the village. The area is 4,330 acres, and the population in 1861 was 755. [Kelly's Post Office Directory of Essex, Herts, Middlesex, Kent, Surrey and Sussex, 1867.]
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Slinfold to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Slinfold has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
View a map of the boundaries of this town/parish.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TQ118315 (Lat/Lon: 51.071949, -0.405629), Slinfold which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)