SOUTH BERSTED is a parish, in the hundred of Aldwick, rape and county court district of Chichester, Sutton incorporation, 6 miles south-east from Chichester, and one mile north from Bognor, containing 2,750 acres. The church of St. Mary Magdalen is a plain edifice, with a tower surmounted by a spire. The living is a vicarage, commuted tithe rent-charge £400 per annum, in the gift of the Archbishop of Canterbury, and held by the Rev. Edward Eedle, M.A., of Christ Church, Oxford. There is a National School for boys. The soil is a rich loam. The population of this parish (which includes Bognor) in 1861 was 3,128. [Kelly's Post Office Directory of Essex, Herts, Middlesex, Kent, Surrey and Sussex, 1867.]
|Bognor Regis Methodist Church, Bognor Regis, Methodist|
|Primitive Methodist Chapel, Bognor Regis, Methodist|
|Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Bognor Regis, Methodist|
|Our Lady of Sorrows, Bognor Regis, Roman Catholic|
|Friends Meeting House, Bognor Regis, Quaker|
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from South Bersted to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which South Bersted has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
View a map of the boundaries of this town/parish.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SU934005 (Lat/Lon: 50.796548, -0.676109), South Bersted which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)