SOUTHWICK is a pleasant village and railway station, in the Western division of the county, hundred of Fishergate, rape of Bramber, Steyning union, Brighton county court district, diocese of Chichester, and archdeaconry and rural deanery of Lewes, 55 miles south from London, a mile and a half east from Shoreham, and 4 miles west from Brighton. The church of St. Michael is a very neat structure. The register dates from 1654. The living is a rectory, annual value £207, with 8 acres of glebe, in the gift of the Lord Chancellor, and held by the Rev. Francis Barney Parkes, M.A., of Christ Church, Oxford. Here is a National school, a Preventive station, and a small reading and lecture room. A considerable trade is carried on in coals and corn, by means of its connection with Shoreham harbour and the commodious wharfs: here is also a large ship building yard. A ship canal is formed from Shoreham harbour to Aldrington parish. A fair is held on the 19th of May annually. The principal landowners are Hugh Gorringe, Esq., and Mrs. E. Hall. The area is 1,470 acres, and the population in 1861 was 1,358.
FISHERSGATE is a hamlet in the parish of Southwick, situated on the coast, half a mile east. [Kelly's Post Office Directory of Essex, Herts, Middlesex, Kent, Surrey and Sussex, 1867.]