STORRINGTON is a parish and market town, in the Western division of the county, West Easwrith hundred, Petworth county court district, rape of Arundel, Thakeham union, diocese and archdeaconry of Chichester, and rural deanery of Storrington. It is 50 miles south-south-west by road from London, 9 north-east from Arundel, 10 south-east from Petworth, and 4 south-east from Pulborough railway station. It consists of two streets, intersecting at right angles. Gas works were erected here in 1861. The market for corn is held every alternate Tuesday; and two fairs on the 13th May for cattle and horses, and on the 11th November for cattle, pedlery, &c. The church of St. Mary consists of chancel, nave and north aisle, with square tower at the west end: the chancel contains two elegant marble monuments, by Westmacott, to the memory of Sir Henry Hollis Bradford, Knt., and Major Hugh Falconer and daughter. The register dates from 1590. The living is a rectory, the tithes have been commuted at £600 per annum, with residence, and 28 acres of glebe, in the gift of the Duke of Norfolk, and held by the Rev. John Scott Whiting, B.A., of Worcester College, Oxford. Here is a school endowed by Jane Downer, who, in 1763, gave £500 Three per Cents. for the education of twenty poor children. Mary Coates, in 1779, gave land and money, amounting to £404, for the purchase of bread for the poor not receiving parochial relief; and subsequently J. Hooper and Mary his wife, gave by deed a farmhouse and premises at Cootham, £15 of which were to be added to the income of Downer's charity, and the rest to be distributed in bread to the poor. The principal landowners are the Duke of Norfolk, Lord Leconfield, and F. King, Esq. Parham House, the seat of the Hon. Robert Curzon and the Baroness De la Zouche, stands in a fine wooded park,which is well stocked with deer, about a mile and a half west of Storrington. Fryern House is another seat. The populationin 1861 was 1,104; the area is 3,264 acres.
COOTHAM, about one mile west, is a hamlet of this parish. [Kelly's Post Office Directory of Essex, Herts, Middlesex, Kent, Surrey and Sussex, 1867.]
|Cootham Mission Church, Cootham, Church of England|
|The Parish Church of St Mary the Virgin, Storrington, Church of England|
|Pastor Mustow's Mission Hall, Cootham, Independent|
|Trinity, Storrington, Methodist|
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Storrington to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Storrington has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
View a map of the boundaries of this town/parish.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TQ087142 (Lat/Lon: 50.917035, -0.45503), Storrington which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)