STOUGHTON is an extensive parish, 7 miles north-west from Chichester, in the Western division of the county, hundred and union of Westbourne, Chichester county court district, rape, diocese and archdeaconry, and deanery of Boxgrove. The church of St. Mary is a plain structure, very ancient, and consists of nave, chancel, and aisles. The living is a vicarage, value £270 per annum, with residence, in the gift of the Bishop of London, and held by the Rev. Francis Henry Vivian, M.A., of Trinity College, Cambridge. Christ Church, Stansted, is a neat structure, built and endowed by the late Charles Dixon, Esq. The living is a perpetual curacy, value £210 per annum, in the gift of Mrs. Dixon, and held by the Rev. Nicholas Grattan Whitestone, B.A., of Trinity College, Dublin. Stansted House, on the borders of Hants, is the seat and property of Mrs. Dixon; it stands in a finely wooded park, which covers an area of more than 1,000 acres, and which contains avenues upwards of 2 miles in length. The population in 1861 was 663, and the area is 5,422 acres.
WALDERTON (or Waldington) is a tithing of the parish, one mile south-west. NORTHWOOD is a hamlet. Stoughton Manor Farm is a quarter of a mile south; Mildmer (or Mitchmere) is half a mile south-west. Watergate, one mile west; Inholm, Pitlands, and Haslet Coppice are three quarters of a mile north-west; William's Wood, one mile north-east. Broad Reed is a farm. [Kelly's Post Office Directory of Essex, Herts, Middlesex, Kent, Surrey and Sussex, 1867.]