THAKEHAM is a parish, in the Western division of the county, East Easwrith hundred, Petworth county court district, rape of Bramber, and union of its own name, diocese and archdeaconry of Chichester and rural deanery of Storrington. The village, which is pleasantly situated on rising ground, is 54 miles south-south-west from London, 4 south-east from Pulborough railwaystation, and 6 west from Steyning. The church of St. Mary is an ancient structure, with nave and chancel, and square tower with 6 bells. The living is a rectory, the tithes have been commuted at £710 per annum, with residence, in the gift of and held by, the Rev. John Hurst, M.A., of Trinity College, Cambridge. The union comprises 15 parishes, viz:- Ashington, Cold Waltham, Findon, Hardham, Parham, Pulborough, Rackham, Stopham, Storrington, Sullington, Thakeham, Warminghurst, Washington, West Chiltington, and Wiston. The parish comprises 2,980 acres, and the population in 1861 was 559.
GREENHURST is a hamlet of this parish. [Kelly's Post Office Directory of Essex, Herts, Middlesex, Kent, Surrey and Sussex, 1867.]
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Thakeham to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Thakeham has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
View a map of the boundaries of this town/parish.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TQ109173 (Lat/Lon: 50.944483, -0.422804), Thakeham which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)