TICEHURST is a parish, giving name to a union, 8 miles south-west from Cranbrook, on the road from Tunbridge Wells to Battle and Rye, in the Eastern division of the county, Shoyswell hundred, Ticehurst union, county court district of Tunbridge Wells, Hastings rape, diocese of Chichester, and archdeaconry of Lewes. The church of St. Mary is a neat ancient structure, with square tower containing 6 bells and clock, with a low shingled spire. The living is a vicarage, value £700 per annum with 15 acres of glebe land, in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of Canterbury, and held by the Rev. Arthur Eden, M.A. of Queen's College, Oxford. The vicarage house adjoining the church is brick built, erected in 1852 by the Rev. Arthur Eden, M.A., the present vicar. The National schools, erected in 1846, are a handsome pile of buildings, built and supported partly by subscriptions and Government grant: about a hundred of each sex are instructed. The Union Workhouse is a fine building, a mile and a half south-east of the village: it was erected in 1837, and will hold about 200 inmates: adjoining is an infirmary. The following eight parishes compose the union, viz., Bodiham, Burwash, Etchingham, Frant, Lamberhurst, Salehurst, Ticehurst, and Wadhurst. The area of the union is 51,576 acres, and the population 1861 was 14,635.
The station is 3½ miles south-west from the village, and the Wadhurst and Etchingham stations are of easy access. The annual fairs are on May 4th and October 7th; the former for cattle, and the latter a pleasure fair. Here are places of worship for Wesleyans and Calvinists. George Campion Courthope, Esq., and the Earl of Chichester are lords of the manor; the former and Nathan Wetherell, Esq., are principal landowners. The charities are £44 per annum. There are some very handsome residences in this parish.
The parish comprises 8,202 acres; the population in 1851 was 2,850, and in 1861 it was 2,768.
STONEGATE, 2½ miles south-west, is a chapelry of Ticehurst. The living is a perpetual curacy, with residence, in the gift of G. C. Courthope, Esq., and held by the Rev. J. Dawson, B.A., of Pembroke College, Cambridge. The population in 1861 was 525.
FLIMWELL, 2½ miles east, is a chapelry of Ticehurst. The living is a perpetual curacy, annual value £100, with residence, in the gift of the Bishop of Chichester, and held by the Rev. F. Howlett, M.A., of Worcester College, Oxford.
The population in 1861 was 894. [Kelly's Post Office Directory of Essex, Herts, Middlesex, Kent, Surrey and Sussex, 1867.]
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Ticehurst to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Ticehurst has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
View a map of the boundaries of this town/parish.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TQ699302 (Lat/Lon: 51.046028, 0.422379), Ticehurst which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)