UPPER WALTHAM is a small Parish, on the high road from Petworth to Chichester, 6 miles south-west from the former and 8 north-east from the latter city, in the Western division of the county, Box and Stockbridge hundred, Chichester rape, county court district, diocese and archdeaconry, West Hampnett union, and rural deanery of Boxgrove. The parish forms a portion of the South Downs of which the soil is chalky, and the surface boldly undulated. The church is a small building, in the Early English style, with a circular east end. The register commences in 1790. The living is a rectory, value £128 per annum, in the gift of Lord Leconfield, and held by the Rev. Henry Cogan, M.A., of St. John's College, Cambridge, who resides at East Dean. The area is 1,245 acres, and the population in 1861 was 71. [Kelly's Post Office Directory of Essex, Herts, Middlesex, Kent, Surrey and Sussex, 1867.]
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Up Waltham to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Up Waltham has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
View a map of the boundaries of this town/parish.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SU943137 (Lat/Lon: 50.91507, -0.659946), Up Waltham which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)