WALDRON is a parish, 6 miles south-east from Uckfield, 8 north-west from Hailsham, 11 north-north-east from Lewes, and 50 from London, in the Eastern division of the county, Uckfield union, Shiplake and Dill hundreds, Lewes county court district, archdeaconry and rural deanery, rape of Pevensey, and diocese of Chichester. The church of All Saints is an ancient structure, and consists of stone tower with 8 bells, chancel, nave, and north and south aisles, and was thoroughly restored in 1862: it contains many brasses and monumental inscriptions of the Dyke, Offley, Fuller, Dalrymple, and other families. The register dates from the Reformation. There is also a chapel of ease at Cross-in-Hand. The living is a rectory, value £455 per annum, with residence, in the gift of Exeter College, Oxford, and held by the Rev. John Ley, B.D., formerly of that College. Here is a place of worship for Wesleyans. Horeham, in this parish, was formerly the seat of the family of Dyke, baronets, and was obtained by the marriage of Thomas Dyke, Esq., with Joan, daughter of Thomas Walsh, gentleman, at the beginning of the seventeenth century. The fairs are held at the Cross-in-Hand on the 23rd of April and 19th of November. The Earl of Chichester and Louis Huth, Esq., are lords of the manor; the latter and Fuller Meyrick, Esq., are the principal landowners of the parish. A few acres of hops are grown here. The area is 6,218 acres, and the population in 1861 was 1,132.
CROSS-IN-HAND is 2 miles east; Horeham is a farm. [Kelly's Post Office Directory of Essex, Herts, Middlesex, Kent, Surrey and Sussex, 1867.]