WARNHAM is a village and parish, 33 miles from London by road, 3 north from Horsham, in the Western division of the county, Singlecross hundred, rape of Bramber, Horsham union and county court district, diocese and archdeaconry of Chichester, and rural deanery of Storrington. The village is rather extensive, and consists principally of one long narrow street, running north and south. The church of St. Margaret, an ancient Norman edifice, was enlarged and repewed in 1847-48 by voluntary contributions, aided by a grant of £120 from the Society for Promoting the Enlargement of Churches and Chapels: it consists of a nave and north and south aisles, with three chancels; the northern of these latter portions is divided from the south aisle by a handsome Gothic oak screen: it has a square embattled tower with clock and 6 bells: amongst the monuments will be found one to the family of the Carills, dated 1613: it contains sittings for 200 Persons. The register dates from 1558. The living is a vicarage, value £314 18s. 5d. per annum, with residence, in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of Canterbury, and held by the Rev. James Wood, M.A., of Christ Church, Oxford. The commutation of great tithes, payable to Sir Percy Florence Shelley, Bart., is £461 1s. 3d. Here is a neat National school for boys and girls. Near the village is Warnham Court, the residence of Charles Thomas Lucas, Esq., a very handsome mansion, and a striking feature of the surrounding country; the grounds are tastefully arranged and surrounded by a fine park. On the south-west side of the parish is Field Place, the birthplace of Shelley, the poet, now the residence of William Innes, Esq. Warnham Lodge is the delightful residence of William Norris Franklyn, Esq., in the Old English style of architecture. Thomas Wisden, Esq., of Brighton, is lord of the manor of Den; and the Rev. John Broadwood, Mrs. Barnett, Sir Percy F. Shelley Bart., - Henderson, Esq., D. T. Lucas, Esq. and Mrs. Wood, of Brighton, are the chief landowners. The Horsham and Dorking line of rail, now (1866) in course of formation, passes through this parish, and a neat station is being erected here. Area, 4,920 acres; the population in 1861 was 1,006.
WEST HOUSE, KINGSFOLD, and a portion of BROADBRIDGE HEATH are in this parish. [Kelly's Post Office Directory of Essex, Herts, Middlesex, Kent, Surrey and Sussex, 1867.]
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Warnham to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Warnham has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
View a map of the boundaries of this town/parish.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TQ158337 (Lat/Lon: 51.090932, -0.347856), Warnham which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)