WASHINGTON is a pleasant village and parish, 56 miles south-south-west from London, 4½ north-west from Steyning railway station, 7 north from Worthing, in the Western division of the county, Steyning hundred, Worthing county court district, rape of Bramber, Thakeham union, diocese and archdeaconry of Chichester, and rural deanery of Storrington. The church (St. Mary) is of Norman origin, and is now (with the exception of the tower) being entirely rebuilt, at a cost of £2,600. The living is a vicarage, value about £200 per annum, with residence and 20 acres of glebe, in the gift of Magdalen College, Oxford, and held by the Rev. John Walker Knight, M.A., of that college. New schools are also about to be erected. The soil chiefly belongs to Major C. F. Sandham, the Duke of Norfolk, Sir Charles Goring, Bart., and the Rev. John Goring. Rowdell House, the seat and property of Major C. F. Sandham, and Highden, the residence of Sir Charles Goring, Bart., are both pleasant mansions, situated upon high ground, commanding extensive and beautiful prospects over the surrounding country. The parish comprises 3,162 acres, with a population in 1861 of 908. [Kelly's Post Office Directory of Essex, Herts, Middlesex, Kent, Surrey and Sussex, 1867.]
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Washington to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Washington has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
View a map of the boundaries of this town/parish.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TQ121128 (Lat/Lon: 50.903801, -0.407112), Washington which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)