WEST CHILTINGTON is a parish, the Western division, of the county, West Easwrith hundred, rape of Arundel, Thakeham union, Petworth county court district, diocese and archdeaconry of Chichester, 52 miles south-south-west from London, one mile south from Pulborough railway station, 9 miles east from Petworth, and 9 south-west from Horsham. Date of register, 1558. The living is a rectory, value £550 per annum, with residence, in the gift of the Earl of Abergavenny, and held by the Rev. Robert Jermyn Cooper, M.A., of Christ Church, Oxford. Here is a Free school, endowed in 1635 by William Smith, of Angmering. The area of the parish is 3,917 acres, and the population in 1861 was 668.
GAY STREET, CONEYHURST and BROADFORD BRIDGE, are hamlets of this parish. [Kelly's Post Office Directory of Essex, Herts, Middlesex, Kent, Surrey and Sussex, 1867.]