WEST STOKE is a pleasant parish, of small extent, adjoining Funtington, in the Western division of the county, Bosham hundred, West Hampnett union, Chichester rape, county court district, diocese and archdeaconry, and rural deanery of Boxgrove. The village is small and retired. Stoke House is the residence of Lieut.- Col. Frederick Cavendish, J.P. Bow Hill lies to the north. On the southern acclivity of the Downs are two large mounds, supposed to have been erected over the bodies of the sea-kings whom the men of Chichester encountered and slew in the year 900. The living is a rectory, value £170 per annum, with residence, in the gift of the Lord Chancellor, and held by the Rev. Charles Buckner, B.D. of Wadham College, Oxford. The Duke of Richmond is the sole landowner. The area is 880 acres, chiefly down land; the population in 1861 was 94
KINGLEY BOTTOM is a mile and a half north; HOLLANDS, a quarter of a mile west; LONGFORD, a mile and a half north-east. [Kelly's Post Office Directory of Essex, Herts, Middlesex, Kent, Surrey and Sussex, 1867.]
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from West Stoke to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which West Stoke has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
View a map of the boundaries of this town/parish.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SU827088 (Lat/Lon: 50.872793, -0.826025), West Stoke which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)