WEST TARRING is a parish, 62 miles south-south-west from London, one mile north-west from Worthing railway station in the Western division of the county, Tarring hundred, Worthing county court district, rape of Bramber, East Preston incorporation, a peculiar of Canterbury, in the diocese and archdeaconry of Chichester, and rural deanery of Tarring. The parish constitutes the hundred. The church of St. Andrew has been thoroughly repaired and furnished with open seats, at the expense of nearly £2,800, defrayed by voluntary subscriptions, assisted by a grant from the Society for Building and Enlarging Churches, except the chancel, which belongs to the Ecclesiastical Commissioners. The living is a vicarage, with Heene annexed, joint annual value £474, in the gift of the Archbishop of Canterbury, and held by the Rev. John Wood Warter, B.D., of Christ Church, Oxford. Here is the only fig orchard in England. The parishes comprise 1,226 acres and the population, including Salvington, in 1861 was 606.
SALVINGTON is a hamlet of West Tarring, half a mile north. Here the illustrious John Selden was born. The Brighton and Chichester Railway passes a quarter of a mile south. [Kelly's Post Office Directory of Essex, Herts, Middlesex, Kent, Surrey and Sussex, 1867.]