WESTBOURNE is a large parish, which gives name to a hundred and union, in the Western division of the county, rape, county court district, diocese, and archdeaconry of Chichester, and rural deanery of Boxgrove, 7 miles from Chichester, 14 from Portsmouth, and about one mile from Emsworth railway station. Its western limit is formed by a small stream or bourne, called the Emm, dividing it from the county of Hants: Racton, Funtington, Chidham, and the northern branch of Chichester Harbour form the other boundaries.. The church of St. John the Baptist is an ancient edifice, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, porches, and west tower: it has recently been restored, at a cost of £2,000: the timber spire was added in 1770, together with the peal of 6 bells, by the Earl of Halifax, then of Stansted: there are five windows of stained glass, the eastern presented by the rector, the western by Sir Provo Wallis; the others are memorials to the families of Oldfield, Mundy, and Newland; the chancel screen is of oak, with metal gates: the northern approach to the church is through a fine avenue of yew trees, planted in 1530 by Lord Maltravers. The registers commence in 1550, and are perfect to the present time. The living, formerly a sinecure rectory and vicarage, is now a rectory and vicarage in medieties, annual value £450, in the gift of, and held by, the Rev. John Hanson Sperling M.A., of Trinity College, Cambridge. The tithes are divided between the incumbent, the Dean and Chapter of Chichester, and the perpetual curate of Stansted. Here is a National school, for 80 boys and 80 girls, in Westbourne, and two others in Prinsted and Nutbourne, containing together about 150 children. The union comprises the following parishes:- Bosham, Chidham, Compton, East Marden, Funtington, North Marden, Racton, Stoughton, Upper Marden, Westbourne, West Dean, and West Thorney. The principal landowners are the Earl of Dartmouth, Mrs. Dixon, Lord Leconfield, Charles Dorrien, Esq., and Messrs. Hipkin, Wyatt, Quick, and Osmond, &c. The area is 6,000 acres, including mud land, and the population in 1861 was 2,165.
ALDSWORTH, HERMITAGE, NUTBOURNE, PRINSTED, and WOODMANCOTE are tithings belonging to this parish. Ashdean, Lumley, Gosden Green, Sindells, and Priors Lease are other places. [Kelly's Post Office Directory of Essex, Herts, Middlesex, Kent, Surrey and Sussex, 1867.]
|St John the Evangelist, Southbourne, Church of England|
|St Wilfrid, Nutbourne, Church of England|
|The Parish Church of St John the Baptist, Westbourne, Church of England|
|Southbourne Free Church, Southbourne, Free church|
|Westbourne Baptist Church, Westbourne, Baptist|
|Westbourne Free Church, Westbourne, Free church|
|Chapel of the Holy Nativity, Nutbourne, Roman Catholic|
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Westbourne to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Westbourne has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
View a map of the boundaries of this town/parish.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SU757075 (Lat/Lon: 50.862063, -0.925759), Westbourne which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)