WESTMESTON is a parish, on the high road from Guildford to Lewes, 3 miles south-east from Hassock's Gate station, 46½ from London, 6 north from Brighton, and 6 north-west from Lewes, in the Eastern division of the county, Street hundred, Chailey union, Lewes rape, county court district, archdeaconry and rural deanery, and diocese of Chichester. The church of St. Martin is a plain ancient building, with nave, chancel, and south aisle, a tiled turret and 3 bells: the chancel has been restored. The register dates from 1587. The living is a rectory, value £536 per annum, with residence, in the gift of W. I. Campion, Esq., and held by the Rev. Charles Heathcote Campion, B.A., of Christ Church Oxford. There is a National school. Westmeston contains 2,090 acres; the population in 1861 was 288, assessed to the income tax at £2,260.
CHILTINGTON is a hamlet in this parish, about 4 miles east-by-north from the parish church, where there is chapel of ease and a National school. [Kelly's Post Office Directory of Essex, Herts, Middlesex, Kent, Surrey and Sussex, 1867.]
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Westmeston to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Westmeston has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
View a map of the boundaries of this town/parish.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TQ338137 (Lat/Lon: 50.907273, -0.098337), Westmeston which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)