Alstonfield in 1872
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales - 1870-2
ALLSTONEFIELD. or Allstonfield, a village a township, and a parish on the NE border of Staffordshire contiguous to Derbyshire. The village stands on the
river Dove, 8 miles NNW of Ashborne railway station and has a post-office under Ashborne. The township contains also the hamlet of Stanshope and a workhouse and is in the district of Ashborne. Acres 2,700 Real property, £4,488. Pop., 651. Houses, 140.
The parish contains also the townships of Heathylee, Quarnford, Hollinsclough, Longnor, Fairfieldhead, Warslow, and Elkstone, in the district of Leek. Acres 21,860, Real property, £19,824. Pop., 4,117. Houses, 917. The property is divided among a few.
Coal, lead ore, and copper are worked. Isaac Walton indulged his angling propensities here, with his friend Cotton of Beresford Hall. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £300. Patron, Sir John Crewe. Bart
The church is a beautiful structure in early English style, with a pinnacled tower The perpetual curacies of Quanford, Longnor, Warslow, and Elkstone are separate benefice. Charities, £54.
An 1872 Gazetteer description of the following places in Alstonfield is to be found on a supplementary page.
- Fairfield Head
[Description(s) from The Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72) - Transcribed by Mike Harbach ©2020]