Places in Burslem in 1872
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales - 1870-2
ABBEY-HULTON, a lordship in Burslem parish, Stafford; near Burslem railway station. It contains the hamlets of Milton and Sneyd-green; and has remains of a Cistertian Abbey, founded in 1223 by Henry de Audley. Pop., 726. Houses, 145.
BRADLEY, a hamlet in Burslem parish, Stafford; in the vicinity of Burslem. It is rich in minerals.
COBRIDGE, a chapelry in Burslem parish, Stafford; in the vicinity of Burslem town and railway station. It was constituted in 1845; it shares in the industry and general character of Burslem; and it has a post office under Stoke-upon-Trent. Rated property, £4,369. Pop., 3,378. Houses, 657. The property is not much divided. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £142. Patron, the Rector of Burslem.
LONGPORT, a village in Burslem township and parish, Stafford; on a branch of the Trent canal, and suburban to Burslem. It has a post office, under Stoke-upon-Trent, and several wharves on the canal; it carries on the manufacture of earthenware, porcelain, and flint glass; and it contains Burslem St. Paul's church, and several dissenting chapels.
RUSHTON-GRANGE, a ville in Burslem parish, Stafford; near Burslem, and within Stoke-upon-Trent borough. Pop. in 1851, 1,901; in 1861, 2,652. Houses, 512. This place was known at Domesday, as Riston; and it had a grange to Halton abbey.
SNEYD, a hamlet and a chapelry in Burslem parish, Stafford. The hamlet adjoins Burslem town, and participates in its industries. Real property, £11,256; of which £6,846 are in mines. Pop., 1,128. Houses, 223. The chapelry was constituted in 1844. Post town, Burslem, under Stoke-on-Trent. Pop., 3,071. Houses, 610. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Lichfield. Value £150. Patron, alternately the Crown and the Bishop. The church was built in 1852. There is a Wesleyan chapel.
[Description(s) from The Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72) - Transcribed by Mike Harbach ©2020]