Burslem St Paul in 1859
Topographical Dictionary of England, Samuel Lewis - 1859
The parish was formerly one of the chapelries within the large parish of Stoke, from which it was separated in 1807, and made a distinct parish, comprising about 3000 acres.
An additional church, in the later English style, dedicated to St. Paul, and capable of holding more than 2000 persons, was erected by the Parliamentary Commissioners, in 1831, at an expense of £10,000, towards which £2000 were contributed by the parishioners and others:
It stands near Longport, and has a cemetery of three acres. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £109; patron, Rector of Burslem.
[Description(s) from The Topographical Dictionary of England (1859) by Samuel Lewis - Transcribed by Mike Harbach ©2020]