"Butterton is a large village, on a steep declivity, nine miles NNW of Mayfield and five miles S of Longnor, comprising within its township and chapelry 388 inhabitants and about 1500 acres of land, forming a high moorland district, but well enclosed and mostly in pasturage. It has many scattered houses, and belongs to about 80 proprietors, who pay small chief rents to the Duke of Devonshire, the lord of the manor. The open fields and common were enclosed under an act passed in 1774. Near a small brook, at the foot of the village, is a sulpherous spring, said to be beneficial in scorbutic cases.
At Botstone, near the river Manyfold, about a mile west of Butterton, a lead mine was worked about fifteen years ago."
[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]
The Monumental Inscriptions of the church of St Bartholomew, Butterton, have been transcribed and published by the Birmingham & Midland SGH.
"The church, or parochial chapel, St Bartholomew, was built in 1781 and has a tower and two bells.
The perpetual curacy, is in the gift of the Vicar of Mayfield, and incumbency of the Rev George Paul Belcher, of Heather, in Leicestershire, for whom the Rev H Richardson, of Bradnop, officiates.
Here is a Wesleyan chapel, built in 1842."
[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851)
St Bartholomew, Butterton, was a chapelry of Mayfield parish, details of which can be found on the Mayfield parish page.
Church of England Registers
The register of St Bartholomew commences in 1746. The original registers for the period 1746-1889 (Bapts), 1746-1812 & 1840-1892 (Mar) and 1746-1935 (Bur), and Banns for the period 1754-1844 are deposited at Staffordshire Record Office.
Bishops Transcripts for the period 1660-1864 (with gaps) are deposited at Lichfield Record Office.
A transcript of the Bishops Transcripts for the period 1660-1751 has been published by the Birmingham & Midland SGH.
A transcription of the section on Butterton from A Topographical History of Staffordshire by William Pitt (1817
The transcription of the section for Butterton from the Topographical Dictionary of England (1859)
The transcription of the section for Butterton from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
The transcription of the section for Butterton from the Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Butterton to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Butterton has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SK076565 (Lat/Lon: 53.105641, -1.887933), Butterton which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)