"Coppenhall is a scattered village, township, and chapelry (to Penkridge), four miles NNW of Penkridge, containing 100 inhabitants, and 900 acres of land, belonging to Lord Willoughby de Broke, Miss Clarke, and several smaller proprietors, but Baron Stafford is lord of the manor."
[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]
The population of Coppenhall township was as follows:
1831 -- 100
1841 -- 119
A surname index of the 1851 census of Coppenhall township is included in the Staffordshire 1851 Census Surname index, Volume 12, Penkridge, published by the Birmingham & Midland SGH.
"The Church of St Lawrence, is a small ancient building, with only about 60 sittings.
The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of Lord Hatherton, and incumbency of the Rev. Evan Price, of Dunstan."
[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851)
The church of St Lawrence, Coppenhall, was a chapelry of Penkridge parish, details of which can be found on the Penkridge parish page.
Church of England Registers
The register of St Lawrence commences in 1678. The original registers for the period 1678-1812 (Bapts) & 1678-1996 (Mar) are deposited at Staffordshire Record Office. Baptism registers for the period 1812-date are held by the incumbent. Burials are recorded in the Penkridge parish registers.
Bishops Transcripts, 1762-1859 are deposited at Lichfield Record Office.
A transcript of the register for the period 1678-1837 has been published by the Birmingham & Midland SGH
A transcription of the section on Coppenhall from A Topographical History of Staffordshire by William Pitt (1817)
The transcription of the section for Coppenhall from the Topographical Dictionary of England (1859)
The transcription of the section for Coppenhall from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
The transcription of the section for Coppenhall from the Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Coppenhall to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Coppenhall has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SJ909194 (Lat/Lon: 52.772113, -2.136324), Coppenhall which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
A transcription of the Muster Roll of 1539 for Coppenhall & Butterhill
The chapelry became part of Penkridge Union following the Poor Law Amendment Act of 1834.
A transcription of the Hearth Tax Returns 1666 for Coppenhall & Butterall Constablewick