"Croxden, in a narrow but fertile valley, watered by the Peake rivulet, five and a half miles N by W of Uttoxeter, and three miles W of Rocester Station, is a hamlet of scattered houses, remarkable only for the venerable ruins of its Abbey, founded by Bertram de Verdon, in 1176, for monks of the Cistercian order. The principal entrance at the west end is nearly entire, and consists of a magnificent Gothic arch of excellent workmanship, above which the abbey wall rises to a height of 40 feet, overgrown with ivy. About 90 feet from this ruin, a large part of the wall, which formed the east end of the building, is still standing, and the foundations of the south transept, cloister and chapter house, may be distinctly traced amongst sheds and pig-sties. Many of the Verdon family are buried here, as also was the heart of King John, whose body is said to have been interred at Worcester, and his bowels at Croxton in Leicestershire.
The parish of Croxden contains 268 inhabitants and about 2400 acres of land, and in the poors' assessment is usually called Croxden-with-Great-Yate. The latter is a village half a mile NW of the church.
Dog Lane, a district of 800 acres and 25 souls, in Calton chapelry, is a detached member of Croxden parish, distant eight miles N by E of the church. Wootons, on the Rochester road, one mile SE of Croxden, is another hamlet in this parish."
[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]