"Enville is a neat and pleasant village on the road from Bridgnorth to Stourbridge, ten miles SSE of Wolverhampton and five and a quarter miles W by N of Stourbridge. Its parish has many scattered houses, 814 inhabitants and 4930 acres of land, forming the manors of Enville and Lutley. The Earl of Stamford is lord of the manor, and owner of most of the soil, and the rest belongs to the Rector, JA Grove, Esq, Mr T Penzer, Mr J Bissell, and a few smaller owners.
Lutley is supposed to have formed part of Kinfare forest, as no mention of it is made in Domesday Book.
Enville Hall, the beautiful sylvan seat of the Earl of Stamford, has belonged to his Lordship's family for more than 270 years, being originally a small brick house, erected by Thomas Grey, who died in 1578.
Enville is famous for a variety of black cherries, which possess a peculiar vinous flavour, and the wakes held there on the first three Sundays in August are called the 'cherry wakes', and are numerously attended by parties who come to partake of this delicious fruit"
[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]




'A History of Kinver and Enville'
Extract from Victoria County History of Staffordshire, Vol XX
by MW Greenslade
Published 1990, by Staffordshire Libraries, Arts & Archives, Stafford.

'Romantic Kinver and Enville. With Legends and Folklore'
by Frances Elizabeth Campbell
Published 1950, by Model Printers, Stourbridge.

'Kinver and Enville in Old Photographs'
by Bob Clarke & Tony Freer
Published 1996, by Sutton, Stroud, Gloucestershire.

'Kinver and Enville in Old Photographs, A Second Selection'
by Bob Clarke & Michael Reuter
Published 1998, by Sutton, Stroud, Gloucestershire.



A transcript of the Monumental Inscriptions of the church of Enville, St Mary, has been published by the Birmingham & Midland SGH.




The population of Enville parish was as follows:
1831 -- 766
1841 -- 814

A surname index of the 1851 census of Enville parish is included in the Staffordshire 1851 Census Surname index, Volume 13, Wolverhampton, published by the Birmingham & Midland SGH.





Church History

"The Church is an ancient building, dedicated to St Mary, and contains many ancient monuments, one of which has two recumbent effigies of Thomas Grey and Anne, his wife, who died in 1559, and near it, under an arch, lies the figure of a priest. In 1762, a stone coffin, inscribed 'Rogerus de Morf' was dug up under the west end, and there is an estate in the parish which still retains the name Morfe. The benefice is a rectory, the Rev Cornelius Jesson is patron and incumbent, and is also rector of St Bride's, Netherwent, Monmouthshire."

[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]

Postcard of St Mary's Church c1902


Church Records

Church of England Registers
The register of the parish church of St Mary commences in 1627. The original registers for the period 1627-1949 (Bapts), 1627-1986 (Mar) & 1627-1943 (Bur) and Banns 1824-1897 are deposited at Staffordshire Record Office.
Bishops Transcripts, 1660-1879 (with many gaps) are deposited at Lichfield Record Office.



Description & Travel

A transcription of the section on Enville from A Topographical History of Staffordshire by William Pitt (1817)

Conservation Area Appraisals for Enville  - interesting accounts of the areas, with excellent historical detail, numerous photographs and maps.



The transcription of the section for Enville from the Topographical Dictionary of England (1859)

The transcription of the section for Enville from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.

The transcription of the section for Enville from the Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)


Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Enville has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SO825868 (Lat/Lon: 52.478842, -2.259094), Enville which are provided by:


Poor Houses, Poor Law

The parish of Enville became part of Seisdon Union following the Poor Law Amendment Act of 1834.