"Fazeley is a considerable village at the junction of the Fazeley and Coventry Canals, in the pleasant vale of the Tame, one and a quarter miles S of Tamworth. The township (in Tamworth parish) of Fazeley includes the neighbouring hamlets and liberties of Bonehill, Bangley, Bitterscote, and Dunstall, and also the north end of the Park of Drayton Manor, the seat of Sir Robert Peel, Bart, who is lord of this manor,and principal owner of the soil, and whose grandfather, the first Sir Robert Peel, established here two extensive cotton mills on the River Tame, which are now occupied by three firms, two of whom are tape and smallware manufacturers. In the village there is also a large woolstapling establishment. Here are commodious wharfs, but their traffic has been much reduced by the railways.
Fazeley township comprises 1827 acres, and 1690 souls, and forms, with the exception of Dunstall and Bitterscote liberties, a chapelry district (of Tamworth parish).
Bonehill House, near the north end of Drayton Park, is the handsome seat of Mrs Peel, relict of the late Edmund Peel, Esq, who died a few months after his illustrious brother. There are several other neat mansions in the township, which is separated from Tamworth by the river Tame."
[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]
A transcript of the monumental inscriptions of St Paul, Fazeley, has been published by the Birmingham & Midland SGH.
"Fazeley church, (St Paul), is a neat building, which was erected and endowed in 1810, by the first Sir Robert Peel, Bart, whose grandson, the present baronet, is patron of the perpetual curacy, in the incumbency of the Rev Cyprian Thompson."
[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851)
St Paul, Fazeley was a chapelry of Tamworth parish, details of which can be found on the Tamworth parish page. Fazeley became a parish in 1842.
Church of England Registers
The register of Fazeley, St Paul commences in 1816. The original registers for the period 1816-1885 (Bapts), 1842-1891 (Mar) and 1855-1907 (Bur) are deposited at Staffordshire Record Office.
Bishops Transcripts for the period 1842-1867 (Bapts) & 1855-1867 (Mar) are deposited at Lichfield Record Office.
Earlier Bishops Transcripts can be found under Tamworth.
The following original registers are deposited at Staffordshire Record Office:
Fazeley, United Methodist, 1885-1990 (Bapts)
Fazeley, Methodist, 1937-1983 (Mar)
The transcription of the section for Fazeley from the Topographical Dictionary of England (1859)
The transcription of the section for Fazeley from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
The transcription of the section for Fazeley from the Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Fazeley to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Fazeley has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SK204020 (Lat/Lon: 52.615393, -1.700136), Fazeley which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)