Fazeley in 1859
Topographical Dictionary of England, Samuel Lewis - 1859
FAZELEY, a district chapelry, in the parish and union of Tamworth, S. division of the hundred of Offlow and of the county of Stafford, 1 mile (S.) from Tamworth; containing, with the liberties of Bangley, Bitterscote, Bonehill, and Dunstall, 1510 inhabitants. The chapelry is situated on the road to Birmingham, and bounded by the river Tame; and comprises, with the liberties, 1987a.1r.26p., in equal portions of arable and pasture: the surface is level, and the soil gravelly.
The Roman Watling-street passes through; and the canal from Birmingham here divides into two branches, one uniting with the Trent and Mersey canal, and the other extending to Coventry and Oxford. There are a cotton-spinning mill employing 120 hands, a bleach-green, and a corn-mill. Fairs for cattle are held on March 21st; the second Mondays in January, February, April, September, and December; the third Mondays in July, August, and November; the last Mondays in May and June; and the first Monday after Old Michaelmas-day.
The living is a perpetual curacy; patron and impropriator, Sir Robert Peel, Bart.: the glebe consists of a few acres, with a house. The chapel or church, a neat edifice with a campanile tower, was built in 1810, by the late Sir Robert Peel, who also gave the endowment. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans; and two national schools are connected with the church.
An 1859 Gazetteer description of the following places in Fazeley is to be found on a supplementary page.
[Description(s) from The Topographical Dictionary of England (1859) by Samuel Lewis - Transcribed by Mike Harbach ©2020]