Hanbury in 1872
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales - 1870-2
HANBURY, a village and a parish in Burton-upon-Trent district, and a parish partly also in Uttoxeter district, Stafford. The village stands on an eminence near the river Dove and the boundary with Derby, 2 miles SSE of Sudbury railway station, and 6 NW by W of Burton-upon-Trent; commands a pleasant view of the heights of Derbyshire; and has a post-office under Burton-upon-Trent. The township comprises 3,195 acres. Pop., 543. Houses, 114. The parish contains also the townships of Newborough, Hanbury-Woodend, Coton, Fauld, Marchington, Marchington-Woodlands, and Draycott-in-the-Clay. Acres, 12,112. Real property, £6,671. Pop., 2,638. Houses, 549. The property is subdivided.
The manor belongs to the Bishop of Lichfield. A nunnery was founded here, about 680, by Ethelred, King of Mercia, and put under the government of his sister, St. Werburgh, who was buried and enshrined in it; but, on the invasion of the Danes in 375, her body was removed to Chester, and the nunnery was destroyed.
The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £362. Patron, the Bishop of Lichfield. The church is ancient, with a tower; was restored in 1849; and the chancel was rebuilt in 1862, and has a memorial window to the late Prince Consort. The perpetual curacies of Newborough, Marchington, and Marchington-Woodlands are separate benefices. There are a national school, an endowed school with £36, and other charities with £123.
An 1872 Gazetteer description of the following places in Hanbury is to be found on a supplementary page.
[Description(s) from The Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72) - Transcribed by Mike Harbach ©2020]