Harborne in 1859
Topographical Dictionary of England, Samuel Lewis - 1859
HARBORNE, or Harbourn (ST. PETER), a parish, in the union of Kings-Norton, S. division of the hundred of Offlow and of the county of Stafford, 3 miles
(S.W. by W.) from Birmingham; containing, with the hamlet of Smethwick, 6633 inhabitants. This place, which, from its proximity to Birmingham and the
salubrity of the air, is the occasional resort of invalids from that town, is pleasantly situated, and contains several handsome mansions, occupied by the proprietors of land, among whom are Theodore Price, J. W. Unett, and W. Spurrier, Esqrs., and the Rev. Thomas Green Simcox, M.A., the first vicar of North Harborne.
The parish comprises about 3300 acres, of which, with the exception of about 100 acres in woodland and plantations, the whole is arable and pasture in nearly equal portions; the surface is elevated, and the scenery pleasingly varied.
The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at £4; patrons and appropriators, the Dean and Chapter of Lichfield: the great tithes have been commuted for £262, and the vicarial for £514; the appropriate glebe contains nearly 26 acres, and the vicarial 25 acres. The church, which has a tower in the later English style, was enlarged in 1827, at an expense of £2000.
The separate incumbencies of Smethwick and North Harborne are noticed under the head of Smethwick. The Baptists and Wesleyans have places of worship. A national school, endowed with £30 per annum, by Mr. Henry Hinckley, was rebuilt in 1837: there are four almshouses; and 50 acres of land, vested in trustees, and producing a rental of £200, belong to the poor.
[Description(s) from The Topographical Dictionary of England (1859) by Samuel Lewis - Transcribed by Mike Harbach ©2020]