Ingestre in 1859
Topographical Dictionary of England, Samuel Lewis - 1859
INGESTRIE, or Ingestre (ST. MARY), a parish, in the S. division of the hundred of Pirehill, union, and N. division of the county, of Stafford, 4 miles (E.N.E.) from Stafford; containing 118 inhabitants. It comprises by measurement 1236 acres. In the north and west the soil is strong, and in other parts generally a light and sandy loam; the surface rises gently towards the west.
The river Trent runs through the parish; and there is a brine spring, the water of which is raised by a steam-engine, conveyed to Weston, and there manufactured into table salt. Ingestre Hall, the seat of Earl Talbot, was partly built in the reign of Edward III.; the principal part is more modern, and in the style of architecture prevailing in the reign of Elizabeth.
The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £10.16.8., and in the gift of the Earl: the tithes have been commuted for £204.3.6., and the glebe comprises 32 acres. The church was erected in 1676, by Walter Chetwynd, Esq., on a more convenient site than that occupied by the ancient and decayed edifice; the chancel is paved with black and white marble, and many of the windows are ornamented with stained glass, exhibiting the armorial bearings of the Chetwynd family. Ingestre gives the inferior title of Viscount to Earl Talbot.
[Description(s) from The Topographical Dictionary of England (1859) by Samuel Lewis - Transcribed by Mike Harbach ©2020]