Ingestre in 1868
The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"INGESTRE, a parish in the hundred of South Pirehill, county Stafford, 3½ miles N.E. of Stafford, its post town, and 2½ from the Weston and Colwich stations on the Trent Valley railway. It is situated on the Grand Trunk canal and river Trent.
It passed from the family of the De Multons to the Chetwynds in the reign of Edward III., who take hence the title of viscount. The surface rises gently towards the W. The land is in general a sandy loam with some clay. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £204 2s. 6d.
The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lichfield, value £569. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, was rebuilt in 1676 by the Chetwynds, and is a small structure with a chancel paved with black and white marble, and containing several monuments and stained-glass windows exhibiting the armorial bearings of the Chetwynds.
Ingestre Hall, late the seat of the earls of Shrewsbury and Talbot, is a fine mansion with a park and extensive plantations. A bridge has been recently erected over the river Trent, connecting this parish with that of Weston. The Earl of Shrewsbury and Talbot is lord of the manor and owner of the land."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]