"Longnor is a small market town, parochial chapelry (to Alstonfield parish), and township of only 561 souls and 787 acres. It is seated on an eminence, bounded on the east by the Dove, and on the west by the river Manifold and distant ten miles NE of Leek. The market, held every Tuesday, is well supplied with provisions and here are seven annual fairs.
Fawfield Head, the largest township in the parish (of Alstonfield) is in Longnor chapelry, and extends from one to five miles S of Longnor and contains a number of scattered houses in the vale of the Dove and Manifold, and the following hamlets; Fawfield Head, one mile S; Hulme End, four miles SSE; Reaps Moor, one and a half miles S; Newtown, two miles SW; and Wigginstall, two and a half miles S of Longnor.
Beresford Hall, an ancient manor now partly in ruins and partly occupied by a farmer, stands on the west bank of the Dove, about two miles above Alstonfield, and is celebrated as being the birthplace of Charles Cotton, the poet, who in the latter part of his life became acquainted with Isaac Walton, author of 'The Complete Angler'. Cotton erected in 1674 a small but handsome fishing house, on the River Dove, a short distance from Beresford Hall, so that he and his friend might the more comfortably enjoy that sport. "
[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]
The population of Longnor township was as follows:
1831 -- 429
1841 -- 561
The population of Fawfield Head township was as follows:
1831 -- 1017
1841 -- 923
"Longnor Church, (St Bartholomew), was rebuilt in 1780, and raised in height, so as to admit galleries, in 1812.
The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the vicar of Alstonfield, and incumbency of the Rev. Wm Buckwell, who is also incumbent of East Sterndale, in Derbyshire."
[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851)
The church of St Bartholomew, Longnor, was a chapelry of Alstonfield parish, details of which can be found on the Alstonfield parish page.
Church of England Registers
The register of St Bartholomew commences in 1691. The original registers for the period 1691-1892 (Bapts), 1691-1837 (Mar) & 1691-1883 (Bur) are deposited at Staffordshire Record Office.
Bishops Transcripts, 1690-1853 (with many gaps) are deposited at Lichfield Record Office.
A transcription of the section on Longnor from A Topographical History of Staffordshire by William Pitt (1817
The transcription of the section for Longnor from the Topographical Dictionary of England (1859)
The transcription of the section for Longnor from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
The transcription of the section for Longnor from the Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Longnor to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Longnor has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SK088649 (Lat/Lon: 53.181129, -1.869781), Longnor which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)