Hide

Norton under Cannock (Norton Canes) in 1859

hide
Hide
Hide

Topographical Dictionary of England, Samuel Lewis - 1859

NORTON-UNDER-CANNOCK (ST. MARGARET), a parish, in the union of PENKRIDGE, S. division of the hundred of OFFLOW and of the county of STAFFORD, 8 miles (W. by S.) from Lichfield; containing, with the township of Little Wyrley, 755 inhabitants. The parish comprises 4077a.2r.14p., of which 2529 acres are inclosed, and the remainder open common. The district abounds with coal and iron-stone, and of the former, which is of excellent quality, there is an extensive mine in operation at Brown Hills; clay, also, for brick-making, is obtained in abundance. The Wyrley and Essington canal passes through the parish.

The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £81; patron and appropriator, Prebendary of Alrewas in the Cathedral of Lichfield, whose tithes have been commuted for £353.16. The church is a neat edifice, rebuilt by subscription, in 1832, at a cost of £1220. R. Gildart and P. Hussey, Esqrs., in 1776, founded a school, and en-dowed it with 55 acres of land now producing £40 a year; and there is likewise a school supported by subscription. 

 

[Description(s) from The Topographical Dictionary of England (1859) by Samuel Lewis - Transcribed by Mike Harbach ©2020]