Ogley Hay in 1872
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales - 1870-2
OGLEY-HAY, a village, an extra-parochial tract, and a chapelry, in the S of Staffordshire. The village stands on the Wyrley and Essington canal, near Watling-street, and near the boundary with Warwickshire, 4 miles S of Lichfield railway station; and is a prosperous place. The extra-parochial tract includes the village, and extends into the country. Acres, 705. Real property, £2,394. Pop.in 1851, 518; in 1861, 1,357. Houses, 258. The increase of pop. was caused mainly by the opening of three large collieries.
Traces of a Roman camp, called Knave's Castle, are to the N of the village. The chapelry excludes part of the extra-parochial tract, but includes parts of the parishes of St. Michael, Shenstone, Walsall, and Norton-under-Cannock; and was constituted in 1854. Post-town, Shenstone, under Lichfield. Pop. in 1861, 2,490. Houses, 476. Pop. of the St. Michael portion, 461; of the Shenstone portion, 105; of the Walsall portion, 229; of the Norton portion, 783.
The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £170. Patron, the Bishop of Lichfield. The church was built in 1851; and is a stone edifice, with tower and low spire. There are chapels for Independents, Wesleyans, and Primitive Methodists, and two national schools.
[Description(s) from The Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72) - Transcribed by Mike Harbach ©2020]