"Pattingham, is a pleasant village on the western verge of Staffordshire, six miles W of Wolverhampton, beautifully situated in full view of the Wrekin, and the long range of Shropshire hills. Its parish comprises two townships, Pattingham, containing about 2700 acres and 802 inhabitants, and Rudge, which has 1560 acres and 101 souls and is in Shropshire. The adjacent manors of Pattingham and Patshull, and most of the soil, have lately been purchased by the Earl of Dartmouth.
Nurton is a hamlet in Pattingham township, five miles W of Wolverhampton."
[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]
'A History of Codsall, Patshull & Pattingham.
An Abstract from Victoria County History of Staffordshire, Vol XX'
by MW Greenslade
Published 1989, by Staffordshire Libraries, Arts & Archives, Stafford.
'Pattingham. A Guide & a Brief History of the Parish'
Published 1969, by Pattingham Parish Council
Second Edition published 1981.
'Around Pattingham & Wombourne in Old Photographs'
by Mary Griffiths, Peter Leigh & Mary Mills
Published 1992, by Alan Sutton, Stroud, Gloucestershire.
'Tettenhall & Pattingham. (The Archive Photograph Series)'
by Alex Brew
Published 1997, by Chalford, Stroud, Gloucestershire.
A transcript of the Monumental Inscriptions of the church of Pattingham, St Chad has been published by the Birmingham & Midland SGH.
The population of the Staffordshire part of Pattingham parish was as follows:
1831 - 817
1841 - 802
A surname index of the 1851 census of Pattingham parish is included in the Staffordshire 1851 Census Surname index, Volume 13, Wolverhampton, published by the Birmingham & Midland SGH.
"St Chad's Church, Pattingham, is an ancient structure, which, except the steeple and the outer walls, was destroyed by fire in 1677, together with several houses. It was soon afterwards repaired. The tower, which has evident traces of a spire, contains six bells, dated 1724, and a clock with chimes, which play every three hours. The chancel is an excellent rough specimen of the early English style. The arches on the north side of the nave are circular, and there is a good decorated window at the east end of the south aisle.
The Earl of Dartmouth is patron of the vicarage, in the incumbency of the Rev. W George Greenstreet, MA, who is also incumbent of Patshull."
[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851)
Church of England Registers
The parish registers of St Chad, Pattingham commence in 1559. The original registers for the period 1559-1918 (Bapts), 1559-1936 (Mar) & 1559-1889 (Bur) are deposited at Staffordshire Record Office.
Bishops Transcripts, 1660-1874 (with gaps 1854-55 & 1858-59) are deposited at Lichfield Record Office.
A transcript of the registers of St Chad for the period 1559-1812 was published in 1934 by the Staffordshire Parish Registers Society and has been reprinted by the Birmingham & Midland SGH.
A transcript of the registers of St Chad for the period 1813-1874 (baptisms only) has been published by the Birmingham & Midland SGH.
The transcription of the section for Pattingham from the Topographical Dictionary of England (1859)
The transcription of the section for Pattingham from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
The transcription of the section for Pattingham from the Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Pattingham to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Pattingham has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SO822991 (Lat/Lon: 52.589406, -2.264174), Pattingham which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)