"Quarnford, the north-western township and chapelry of Alstonfield parish, comprises 665 souls and about 2000 acres. It has two collieries, and includes the village of Flash, seated on an eminence among the moorland hills, near the Buxton Road, and the junction of the three counties of Stafford, Derby and Chester, eight miles N by E of Leek and five miles SW of Buxton.
Hollinsclough, two miles NW of Longnor, is a village and township, in Quarnford chapelry, betwixt and near the sources of the rivers Dove and Manifold. "
[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]
The population of Quarnford township in 1841 was 665, and that of Hollinsclough township, 400.
"Quarnford Church, Flash Chapel, was built on half an acre of land, given by Sir Henry Harpur in 1744, and is a neat stone building, with a small tower and bell.
The benefice is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of Sir JH Crewe, Bart, and incumbency of the Rev. Wm Chawner, BA, who is also incumbent of Hollinsclough, where he has a good parsonage house.
Hollinsclough has a small chapel of ease, erected in 1840 by Sir George Crewe."
[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851)
The church of Quarnford chapelry, Flash Chapel, was a chapelry of Alstonfield parish, details of which can be found on the Alstonfield parish page.
Church of England Registers
The register of Quarnford, Flash Chapel, commences in 1744. The original registers for the period 1744-1847 (Bapts) & 1744-1870 (Bur) are deposited at Staffordshire Record Office.
Bishops Transcripts, 1795-1864 (with gaps 1859-63) are deposited at Lichfield Record Office.
The registers of Flash Methodist Chapel, Baptisms for the period 1837-1973, are deposited at Staffordshire Record Office.
A transcription of the section on Quarnford from A Topographical History of Staffordshire by William Pitt (1817
The transcription of the section for Quarnford from the Topographical Dictionary of England (1859)
The transcription of the section for Quarnford from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
The transcription of the section for Quarnford from the Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Quarnford to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Quarnford has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SK026672 (Lat/Lon: 53.201869, -1.962534), Quarnford which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)