Quarnford in 1859
Topographical Dictionary of England, Samuel Lewis - 1859
QUARNFORD, a chapelry, in the parish of ALSTONFIELD, union of LEEK, N. division of the hundred of TOTMONSLOW and of the county of STAFFORD, 8 miles (N. by E.) from Leek; containing 709 inhabitants. This place, which comprises by measurement 2894 acres, is separated from Derbyshire by the rise of the river Dove, and the head of the river Dane divides it from Cheshire; the Manifold and some other rivers also have their source in the district.
The principal village, called the Flash, is situated near the road between Leek and Buxton, and the western sea may be seen from a hill here, which is a chain of Axedge, near Buxton, extending into Yorkshire. Several coal-mines are at work; and a silk-mill, called the Gradbatch works, employs about sixty hands.
The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £85; patron, Sir George Crewe, Bart. The chapel, at Flash, which is a plain structure, was built in 1744; and in 1833 a smaller chapel was erected at Gradbatch. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans; and a free school has been established at Flash, at the expense of Sir George Crewe, and Joseph Tunnicliff, Esq.
[Description(s) from The Topographical Dictionary of England (1859) by Samuel Lewis - Transcribed by Mike Harbach ©2020]