Quarnford in 1868
The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"QUARNFORD, a township and chapelry in the parish of Alstonfield, N. division of the hundred of Totmonslow, county Stafford, 5 miles S.W. of Buxton, its post town, and 7½ N.E. of Leek. This place, which borders on the counties of Derby and Chester, is situated at a considerable elevation amidst the Moorland hills, near the sources of the rivers Dane and Dove. The principal village, called the Flash, skirts the road between Leek and Buxton. The inhabitants are chiefly engaged in agriculture. There are a flax and a silk mill at Gradbach. Several coal mines are in operation.
The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Lichfield, value £85. There is also a chapel-of-ease at Gradbach, erected in 1833. There is a free school endowed with an annuity of £15, which goes to the master for the free education of 36 boys. The Wesleyans have a place of worship. Sir J. H. Crewe, Bart., is lord of the manor."
"FLASH, a village in the parish of Alstonfield, hundred of North Totmonslow, county Stafford, 4 miles N.W. of Longnor. The district church for the township of Quarnford is in this village."
"HOLLINS-CLOUGH, a township in the parish of Alstonfield, N. division of the hundred of Totmonslow, county Stafford, 7 miles S.W. of Buxton, its post town, and 2 N.W. of Longnor. It is a small inconsiderable village situated on the river Dove. Here is a chapel-of-ease annexed to that of Longnor. It is a small edifice, the roof of which is crowned with an open stone turret containing one bell. There is a place of worship for the Wesleyans. Sir John Harpur Crewe is lord of the manor."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]