Quarnford in 1817
Description from A Topographical History of Staffordshire by William Pitt (1817)
NB Pitt does not specifically describe Quarnford other than in the Alstonefield description below but there is a description of Flash village:
Alstonefield is a parish on the banks of the Dove, situated about two miles to the east of Wetton. This parish partakes of the general appearance of the Moorlands, abounding with hills and dales, and interspersed with several fertile spots in a high state of cultivation. It extends to the length of fifteen miles, including the townships of Fairfield-Head, Heathy-Lee, Hollinsclough, Longnor, Quarnford, and Warnslow with Elkstones, and containing 855 houses, 872 families; 2,073 males, 2,143 females: total of inhabitants 4,216.
Flash is a village situated towards the northern point of the county, near the road leading to Buxton, and seven miles north-east of Leek. It contains about twenty houses, three of which are ale-houses, and three with shops. The Church is small: it is a curacy, and the present curate is the Rev. Robert Richard Balderstone.
There is also a small meeting-house for Methodists in this village. Longevity. - Though the situation of this village is one of the most elevated in Staffordshire, and computed to be nearly half a mile above the level of the sea, the air is salubrious, as may be proved from the records of the dead in the church-yard, particularly the following:
"Here lieth the body of Joseph Brunt, late of Calshaw, who departed this life Aug. 3d, 1795, aged 91 years.
Also Mary, the mother of Joseph Brunt, who departed this life Feb. 24th, 1782, aged 104 years.
Remember man that thou must die,
And so must all that do pass by;
Our glass is run, our time is past,
For age will bring you down at last."