Rowley Regis in 1817
Description from A Topographical History of Staffordshire by William Pitt (1817)
Rowley Regis forms a peninsulated promontory to this hundred, and consists of an extensive range of hills, bounded on the east and west by Worcestershire, on the south by Hales-Owen, and north by Tipton and West Bromwich, in Offlow hundred, except a small neck of land between Bradley and Dudley, which joins it to that of Seisdon. The manor belongs to Lord Dudley.
This parish is principally composed of an insulated mountain, terminated by various peaks, pikes, or summits, the loftiest of which, called Turner's-hill, is the highest ground in the south of Staffordshire: the other points of Rowley are Oakham and Corney- hills. This mountain has for its basis a singular species of quartzose stone of the basaltic or granite kind: it is called Rowley rag-stone, devoid of grit, and not at all calcareous.
The church is a rude fabric of stone, and contains nothing remarkable: it is a chapelry annexed to Clent.
In 1794 was found at Rowley, in pulling down a stone wall, an earthen pot of a globular form, which contained about 1200 Roman silver coins of 40 different sorts, many of them fine impressions of the Roman Emperors, and some of Galba and Otho.