Smethwick St Mary
St Mary's ecclesiastical parish was formed in 1892 from part of Smethwick Old Church. The church, at Bearwood was consecrated in 1888.
A transcription of the Monumental Inscriptions of St Mary is included in the transcript of eleven Smethwick Cemeteries and Churches (Holy Lane Cemetery, St Alban, St Chad, St Hilda, St Mark, St Mary, St Matthew, St Michael & All Angels, St Paul, and St Stephen), published by the Birmingham & Midland SGH.
St Mary's church was built in 1887 on the corner of Bearwood Road and St Mary's Road. The church is a structure of red brick with stone dressings, in the Early English style, designed by JA Chatwin of Birmingham, consisting of a chancel with north and south vestries, aisled nave with north and south porches, western baptistry, and a bellcot over the south vestry with one bell. A north vestry was added in 1939.
St Dunstan's mission church to St Mary was built in 1911 in Marlborough Road but was closed around 1927 and sold by the church in 1936.
Church of England Registers
The register of St Mary's Church, Smethwick, commences in 1888. The original registers for the period 1888-1940 (Bapts) & 1892-1923 (Mar) are deposited at Sandwell Archives.
Nonconformist Church Registers
Records of Nonconformist churches in Smethwick can be found on the Smethwick page
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Smethwick St Mary to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Smethwick St Mary has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SP024875 (Lat/Lon: 52.485414, -1.966087), Smethwick St Mary which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)