Smethwick St Stephen
St Stephen's ecclesiastical parish was formed in 1903 from part of Smethwick Holy Trinity parish. The church, in Sydenham Road was consecrated in 1902.
A transcription of the Monumental Inscriptions of St Stephen is included in the transcript of eleven Smethwick Cemeteries and Churches (Holy Lane Cemetery, St Alban, St Chad, St Hilda, St Mark, St Mary, St Matthew, St Michael & All Angels, St Paul, and St Stephen), published by the Birmingham & Midland SGH.
St Stephen's was originally a mission church to Holy Trinity formed in 1881 in a cottage in St George Street. It was replaced in the following year by a brick mission church in Cambridge Road.
The present church was built in 1901 on the corner of Sydenham Road and Cambridge Road and is a structure of red brick, in the Gothic style, designed by FT Beck of Wolverhampton, consisting of a chancel, aisled nave, narthex, and a bellcot containing one bell over the chancel and nave
Church of England Registers
The register of St Stephen's Church, Smethwick, commences in 1881. The original registers for the period 1881-1963 (Bapts) & 1903-1991 (Mar) and Banns for the period 1953-1971 are deposited at Sandwell Archives.
Nonconformist Church Registers
Records of Nonconformist churches in Smethwick can be found on the Smethwick page
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Smethwick St Stephen to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Smethwick St Stephen has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SP024875 (Lat/Lon: 52.485414, -1.966087), Smethwick St Stephen which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)